Help needed w/gas mileage issue - Honda Fit Forum : Honda Fit Forums
» Auto Insurance

FITOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Fit Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #1
LSteiner

Default Help needed w/gas mileage issue

I am a new owner of a 2016 Honda Fit. Had this car one week today and itís got 188 miles on it.
It only got 177 miles on the first tank of gas!
It's supposed to get approximately 300/350 city mpg.
I use the econ feature and drive it in ďDĒ gear. I drive slowly like a granny.
I called the service dept and the guy said it wonít get good gas mileage until the engine is ďbroken inĒ and thatís in a couple thousand miles? Really?
I traded in a 12 year old Chevy that got better gas mileage than this.
I drive about 11 miles each way to work. I use the back streets not the freeway as traffic in Seattle is a nightmare.
Any ideas?
I wonít share that it got its first scratch! Only had it 6 days and some disrespectful fool left a scratch on the right passenger door. Really??!! The car goes in for the sealant treatment next week. Of course a scratch before the sealant.
I love this car and havenít had a new car in over 17 years. Itís a joy to drive.
Appreciate any input or feedback
Thanks all
Lisa
LSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
garfy2008

It does take a little time for "break in", though not like in the "old days". Until the piston rings, etc. seat properly, fuel economy won't be as great and you may use some engine oil as well, so keep an eye on your fluid levels; check them weekly. Also, driving like a "granny" isn't recommended for proper break-in... not constantly anyway. I would suggest that you try to vary the load & speed of the vehicle a few times during each trip; don't be afraid to once in a while floor the accelerator pedal until the tachometer reads around 5000 rpm, then back off and drive "normally". Doing this a few times on each long commute should allow the engine parts to "wear in" faster and should get your car functioning normally soon. You have to remember that when the factory builds the engines, they don't run it long enough to get all the parts broken in; just enough so they know it's running correctly. (I don't know about the "few thousand miles" thing... You should notice a difference by the time you hit 1000 miles if you follow the above procedure.)
garfy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
littlebear

I just got a 2016 Fit and I got decent gas mileage in first 300 miles. Full tank did take me over 300 miles.
littlebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 AM   #4
garfy2008

Great on your 300 miles on a tank of gas. Even though I don't do much freeway type driving, my 2012 Sport gives me 31mpg whenever I do drive longer stretches instead of stop & go city driving (which gives me 27mpg more or less). The 2016 should give better mileage since it has a CVT instead of a 5 speed auto trans.
garfy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
abdamurph

Default Mileage Issue with new 2017 Honda Fit

I know this is an old post but just came across it and I am having the same issues with my new Honda Fit 2017. I am averaging 26 mpg combined highway/city and am very upset about it! I bought this car main reason for mileage and heard great things and now I am thinking I bought a lemon. I called Honda first, not dealer, and they said the car does need breaking in period of about 500 miles but I am past that at 700 and things are not getting better! I called dealer and they are going to run some tests on in. If it doesn't get better will call Honda again and file major complaint. This is my 4th Honda and have been so happy with all the others but very disappointed in this one so far.
abdamurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
abdamurph

Has your Fit gotten any better with gas mileage? Having same issues with my 2017 and am getting it tested at dealer. Would make me feel so much better if yours is getting better mpg now. Thx!
abdamurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement