Oil Changes? - Honda Fit Forum : Honda Fit Forums
» Auto Insurance

FITOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Fit Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
lilfunky1

Default Oil Changes?

Hey all,

Wondering what everyone else does regarding oil changes.
The first time I went when I hit 5,000km (3,100 miles) which is what I used to do with my old car. Then it was about every 8,000km (5,000 miles) after that.

Now that my fit has the oil life gauge, my mechanic told me to get the oil changed when it goes to 15% (although it drops in increments of 10% so I went when it hit 20%) which is more like every 10-12,000km

Does this sound right?
It's pretty awesome because it pretty much coincides with when I have to switch my tires for winter so I only have to go twice a year.
lilfunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Paul79UF

I've been sticking with the 5,000 miles interval for our cars.

I'm sure I could go a lot longer with synthetic, but every 5,000 miles seems about right to me for regular dino oil.

You can just follow the oil life meter. Changing at about 30-15% sounds good. Just keep records in case you have a warranty issue.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
joycelily

In the winter, you should pay attention to tires‘ antifreeze. In winter, the tires can easily be frozen.
2 x Servo(7.5g)
joycelily is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Corks finest

Have a Honda insight hybrid ATM ( changing to fit shuttle this week)changed my oil and CVT oil every 4k,think it's good practice for the CVT gearbox,my query is,got the CVT on my upcoming 2013 shuttle hybrid,do I use honda green oil and is there a specific CVT oil for the fit hybrid? Thanks in advance
Corks finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
msaxy

Here's my $0.02, at least regarding newer 1.5L FIT, ex. 2018:

I'm a firm believer that our FIT's oil should be changed every 5000 miles.
I did let my oil go to 8000 miles, with the oil life indicator still good, and didn't like the color of the oil coming out. Yes, I'm sure that it's still "good", but why push it??

Oil is cheap, especially if you shop around, ex. Walmart.
Filters are cheap: I purchased a 10-pack of OEM filters off of Ebay at a great price.
Taking the bottom cover off is fairly easy and straightforward.
Overall, the job is quite easy.

Our crankcases don't even hold 5 quarts, but more like only 4 quarts with a new filter. I drive my FIT hard, and never want an oil caused issue.

BTW, I picked up a "case" of Valvoline 0W16 at a great price($27/5 quart) at NAPA on a special promotion. This is oil that should give us a bit more fuel economy. Testing was done on a FIT, and I believe we should expect almost a 2% increase in fuel economy. Over the summer I was approaching 37mpg, like 36.5mpg, so a 2% increase may push me over 37mpg. Unfortunately, it's winter now, and my fuel economy has gone down quite a bit, as I'm only getting about 35.5mpg now, due to NJ's winter-blend gasoline.

BTW, A Honda Goldwing oil filter/plug wrench works on the FIT. :-)

Oh, a quick comment to the person who is using "Dino" oil:
  • Come on man, go to Walmart, a 5 gallon jug of 0W20(full synthetic) is presently only $15.98!!! Gone are the days of $5+/quart for full synthetic, now with the option to purchase 5 quart jugs. Walmart isn't the only game in town either: Amazon Basics 5 quarts 5W30 $17, 0W20 $20, again only a $3 difference!!! Amazon Prime too.
  • You are losing fuel economy.
  • Our Honda FITS have very tight tolerances, and really prefer oil that is quite thin. Anything thicker than 20W is going to cause unecessary added fluid friction.
  • Going from 0W20 -> 0W16 was tested and provides ~2% better fuel economy with using an oil that is only marginally(20W -> 16W) thinner (google search "Honda Fit 0W16 Oil)
  • Going from 0W20 -> 5W30(assuming that 20W dino oil isn't common), or 20W -> 30W, a 4% lost in fuel economy would not be out of the question.
  • Walmart 5W30(Dino), $12.88, is only $3 less than 0W20(Full Synthetic). Over 5000 miles(oil change interval) with 4% loss in mpg-> ~200 miles ~ 6 gallons of extra required fuel -> $13.50($2.25/gal) VS spending $3 more for full synthetic!!! And don't forget that cost difference is even more, because we're only using 4 quarts out of each jug for our oil changes. Even if loss was only 2%, it's still cheaper in the long run to use full synthetic.
  • In summary: Its cheaper to use 0W20(Full Synthetic) VS 5W30(Dino), as the savings at the pump will more than pay for cost premium of purchasing full synthetic VS Dino oil. Plus you won't be violating your car's warranty. I didn't check, but Honda most likely mandates that synthetic oil is used in our cars as hinted by the fact that our filler cap has "0W20" printed on it. NOTE: 0W16 is typically much more expensive compared to 0W20, more so than the cost one would save with the added fuel economy. I just happened to catch a great sale and wanted to see if I could observe and actually see my FIT's summer EPA surpass 37MPG(mainly city driving). But, as soon as 0W16 becomes mainstream and almost as inexpensive as 0W20, this would be the preferred oil for us to use in newer FITs, and also in many other newer vehicles, ex. Toyota is starting to mandate 0W16 to be used in their newest models.

-Mark

Last edited by msaxy; 02-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.
msaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
garfy2008

I'm not privileged to own a 2018 or 2019 Fit, so not aware of what Honda's specs are for the motor oil. If they specify 0W16, then fine, but if they're still at the 0w20 spec, I wouldn't use 0w16 until the vehicle is out of warranty.

For my car, the spec is 0w20 but since we live in the tropics where ambient never goes below 60 degs. F, I just use 5w20 as it's cheaper than the 0w20. I would suggest using name brand oils such as Castrol, Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc. However, I found out that Ashland Oil makes the Napa branded oils so buying a Napa Full synthetic oil is fine. Ashland is the manufacturer of Valvoline so I'm pretty sure the quality is comparable to Valvoline's. (It's kind of like how you can buy a Costco Interstate battery cheaper than the regular Interstate branded battery, but they're the same in performance.)

BTW, in terms of the oil life indicator, using it is fine in determining when to have your engine oil replaced. I've found that the Honda system is not based on mileage alone like the earlier Toyotas that had an oil change reminder system. Honda's system actually computes not only the distance driven, but what engine operating conditions are, like rpm, temperature (ambient), speed, engine load, etc. That's why if you kept track of how many miles you drove from each oil change until the 15% light came on, you'd find the mileage varies (assuming your driving habits in those two instances were noticeably different). Driving in low speed, city, stop & go type scenarios would yield much lower mileage at the 15% point than if you drove longer distance freeway type driving. So, if you're using a quality synthetic oil, you can trust using the oil life indicator as to when you need to replace the oil. (In my case, one of my cars has the oil life at 70% but I still need to replace it at that time because it's been a year since I replaced the oil & filter... yeah, a 2012 with only 26,000 miles on it!)

Last edited by garfy2008; 05-03-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: more info
garfy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
chargerroller

I do mine every 5,000kms
chargerroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:52 AM   #8
mikesstanley464

Default oil

How Often to Change the Oil. Some swear by the “every 3,000 miles or every 3 months” rule, but advances in engines and oil have made that guidance obsolete. Many automakers have oil-change intervals at 7,500 or even 10,000 miles and 6 or 12 months for time.
Bluestacks Omegle.red

Last edited by mikesstanley464; 09-05-2020 at 09:00 AM.
mikesstanley464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement