AC only works good while driving fast - Honda Fit Forum : Honda Fit Forums
» Auto Insurance

FITOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Fit Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
scarvalho

Default AC only works good while driving fast

hello everyone

So I have 2007 Honda fit, and my AC has only been working while driving at higher speeds. Does not work when sitting idle, or at a red light. sometimes, I will hear a clicking sound every 30 seconds or so, until i start driving, and the AC works again.
Ive done some basic trouble shooting, and these are some details - maybe someone can help me?

When looking at the car, I am assuming that the passenger side fan is the condenser fan, and the drivers side fan is the radiator fan? please correct me if I am wrong in assuming this.

When I start the car, no AC will come out the vents.
However:

• If I reach inside engine passenger side, and give the fan blade a push - the fan starts spinning. (but does not appear to be very fast). A little cold air will come out the vents, but not as much as driving full speed(when I assume the wind is forcing the fan to spin more and blow harder). This lead me to believe that the AC fan assembly, or the condenser fan motor, was bad.
  • **but then I made another strange observation - When I turned the car on, the drivers side fan (radiator?) did not seem to spin - until i turned on the AC unit from inside.( I have not however, trouble shoot this side yet) - maybe i just needed to wait longer for the thermostat to hit the right temp to engage the radiator fan, but the AC condenser turning on automatically engages the radiator fan by default - possibly not a part of the problem and just distracting me.

does this appear to be a bad condenser fan motor? only working when wind is forcing it to spin, (and during times of idling, only spinning if a fan blade is manually pushed to start it)?

thanks
Sean
scarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
garfy2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarvalho View Post
hello everyone

So I have 2007 Honda fit, and my AC has only been working while driving at higher speeds. Does not work when sitting idle, or at a red light. sometimes, I will hear a clicking sound every 30 seconds or so, until i start driving, and the AC works again.
Ive done some basic trouble shooting, and these are some details - maybe someone can help me?

When looking at the car, I am assuming that the passenger side fan is the condenser fan, and the drivers side fan is the radiator fan? please correct me if I am wrong in assuming this.

When I start the car, no AC will come out the vents.
However:

• If I reach inside engine passenger side, and give the fan blade a push - the fan starts spinning. (but does not appear to be very fast). A little cold air will come out the vents, but not as much as driving full speed(when I assume the wind is forcing the fan to spin more and blow harder). This lead me to believe that the AC fan assembly, or the condenser fan motor, was bad.
  • **but then I made another strange observation - When I turned the car on, the drivers side fan (radiator?) did not seem to spin - until i turned on the AC unit from inside.( I have not however, trouble shoot this side yet) - maybe i just needed to wait longer for the thermostat to hit the right temp to engage the radiator fan, but the AC condenser turning on automatically engages the radiator fan by default - possibly not a part of the problem and just distracting me.

does this appear to be a bad condenser fan motor? only working when wind is forcing it to spin, (and during times of idling, only spinning if a fan blade is manually pushed to start it)?

thanks
Sean

The cooling fans on the radiator have nothing to do with not having air blowing out of the vents. If no air is blowing out of the vents then your blower motor under the passenger side dash is the problem. As for the radiator fans, BOTH should be running anytime the A/C compressor is running. If not, check for power at the connector of the non-working fan and if it's ok then you have a bad fan motor. The "condenser" fan (pancake, flat motor) is a common one to fail. I've replaced a few of them. If the fans cycle on and off every few seconds along with the a/c compressor cycling on and off quickly, then you probably have low refrigerant charge. Since the Fits take less than a pound of R-134a for a max charge, it doesn't take much loss of refrigerant to noticeably affect the a/c efficiency. Find someone with an A/C manifold gauge set for R-134a and check the pressures; that will tell you what's happening.
garfy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement