Engine Compatibility - Honda Fit Forum : Honda Fit Forums
» Auto Insurance

FITOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Fit Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
RustyH

Default Engine Compatibility

My son has a 2008 Honda Fit Sport with a bad engine. He ran it out of oil while on a road trip a few years ago. The engine was refilled at some point (I don't know how long he drove it) and it seemed to run fine but now there are a number of issues. Check engine lights, poor performance and gas mileage and, go figure, excessive oil use. At this time the engine has nearly 190,000 miles on it.

The mechanics he uses say it could need any number of repairs and gave him an estimate of over $4,000 to fix it and guarantee it passes AZ emissions tests.

I figure it would be cheaper just to buy a used motor, swap everything out and be done with it.

I've got a lead on a junkyard 2013 Honda Fit Sport motor with only 45,000 on it. The car was rear ended and looks like no damage to the front to cause problems. They are only selling the motor and either won't or don't have the computer and/or wiring harness to sell, so the plan is using what we currently have and matching it up.

Between the two of us, we have the equipment to do the motor swap ourselves and we've done a few engine swaps in earlier year hondas that worked without issue afterward.

I just don't know if a 2013 motor will work with the 2008 car and electronics.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
garfy2008

The 2013 Fit engine won't "fit" in your 1st generation Fit (sorry about the pun). If you even looked at your 2008 engine you would realize that the 2nd generation Fit (2009-2013) is a completely different engine. Obvious things are the location of the thermostat, different intake manifold configuration, etc. I'm certain the mounts won't line up and the wiring harnesses in the engine compartment are not compatible. You'd have to find either a 2007 or 2008 engine to make a "clean swap" without having to replace the computer for it and associated harnesses. Also, I'm not sure that your 2008 transmission would bolt up to the 2013 engine also. If you can't find a used engine, try seeing if someone has a reman engine for it; could possibly be cheaper (after returning your old one as a core) than the $4K quoted to you by the mechanic and it'll probably be better as a reman engine would be "like-new" in performance, etc., as most rebuilders replace all worn components with the re-used stuff being major components like crankshaft, block, etc.
garfy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
RustyH

We picked up a clean 2008 Fit engine with just over 92,000 miles on it. It's also a manual transmission engine, so that won't be an issue.

We're doing this in my driveway, so my next question is, can the engine be removed through the top.

Everything I've read says take it out through the bottom, but I don't have a lift, just a cherry picker and a couple of engine stands. As far as I can remember about the engine bay (my son is still driving the car until his motorcycle is repaired) I didn't see anything that would get in the way of pulling it out through the top. I'd like to pull both the engine and tranny out at the same time so I can attache the tranny to the new engine, after I install the new clutch assembly and take care of the rear engine main seal and have the flywheel resurfaced.

I've swapped out several older civic engines before (between 1978 to 1992), but nothing on cars over 2000. On another forum, on poster said pulling and replaceing the engine thorugh the top is easier and faster than through the bottom, but they didn't offer any pictures or indicated that they had done it themselves.

If anyone has any experience with this that can offer suggestions I would appreciate it.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
garfy2008

I've never replaced the engine on the 1st gen Fit, but according to the repair information I have, the procedure given is to remove it from the bottom, both engine and trans together. It's probably because there's not quite enough space through the top even if you removed the hood completely. I suspect that the width (front of engine to rear of trans) may not be enough to clear the fender well area of the engine compartment.
garfy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement